Learn about Grenada’s fascinating spices, agricultural and medicinal plants on Caribbean Horizons’ specialist Grenada Botanist Tour led by Dr Guido Marcelle.
Grenada Botanist Tour Highlights
- Enjoy a scenic drive through the parishes of St George, St David and into St Andrew
- Walk through eight acres of fertile land on a tour of a historic spice plantation
- Learn about the flora of Grenada from specialist guide and botanist, Dr Guido Marcelle
- Stop at La Sagesse beach for an optional swim or birdwatching
Full Tour Description
After a scenic drive along Grenada’s east coast, enjoy a special walking tour through eight acres of fertile land, part of an old spice plantation. This specialist Grenada botany tour is led by Dr Guido Marcelle, a botanist, chemist, farmer and author of several publications including Caribbean Spice Island Plants (Oxford University Press). As you tour the estate, the engaging and humorous Dr Marcelle will point out the wide variety of plants including spices, fruit, agricultural crops, culinary herbs, fungi, lichens and more. Learn about the uses, medicinal and chemical properties of all the plants, as well as permaculture, eco-nutrition and climate-smart agriculture from one of Grenada’s pioneers in the field. The steeply sloping land makes this more of a hike than a ‘walk in the park’. On the return journey, stop at La Sagesse Beach where you can enjoy a refreshing swim, walk along the beautiful black and white sand beach revealing the island’s volcanic origins, or search for migratory birds who frequent the surrounding mangroves.
If you are interested in exploring more gardens and estates in Grenada, Caribbean Horizons offers a range of specialist Grenada Garden Tours [hyperlink to Garden Tours landing page]. Or for a longer hiking excursion, try our Grand Etang Rainforest – Hike & Swim.
Things to note:
- Group tour with minimum 2 pax
- Travel in AC vehicle with experienced tour guide
- Tour times: 9am – 1pm
- Requires fitness for walking / hiking
- Wear a swimsuit (if you’d like to swim) with coverup / comfortable clothing and secure hiking or walking shoes (not sandals or flip flops)
- Bring a towel, sunblock, insect repellent, sunglasses, camera, and cash for souvenirs and gratuities
- Leave jewellery and valuables behind